Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday Factoid: Poetry

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: Do you like poetry? Do you have a favorite poem?

Weirdly I wouldn't really say I like poetry that much. That said, I recognize that nearly any song could be said to essentially be poetry, and I like many songs. Poetry in written form is not my thing really. Though that's maybe a little too simplistic an expression of my feelings about it because I have enthusiastically enjoyed many poems and I used to write a lot of poetry. I mostly stopped doing it in college. I couldn't exactly tell you why.

I studied poetry academically a little bit and mostly that just gave me an understanding of how much form and structure goes into it and what it conveys if you choose a certain form over free verse, and I just don't have the appreciation for it that I kind of want to. Plus I edited a couple poetry books some time back and one of them I found especially grating (and it didn't help that it was by someone who was really up his own butt about how very poetic he was). 

I do have a favorite poem: "Stars" by Sara Teasdale.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment