Monday, September 22, 2014

30-Week Writing Survey: Week 25: Characters' Pets

WEEK TWENTY-FIVE OF THE SURVEY FOR AUTHORS!

QUESTIONS ARE  HERE!

Today's question: Do any of your characters have pets? Tell us about them.

I guess some of my characters have pets. I'm not very interested in animals myself so I guess I don't tend to gravitate toward giving my characters pets, but I know some of them have them.

In Finding Mulligan, protagonist Cassie does not have a pet but her best friend Gabi does, and Gabi's cat (creatively named "Kitty") plays a rather important role in the story.

In Joint Custody, Bay has a dog named Piper at his dad's house and a rabbit named Rudy at his mom's. Piper is important in a part of the book I haven't written yet. Rudy was given to Bay as an Easter present by his grandmother even though she didn't check with his mom to make sure it was okay. His mom flipped out and said he'd have to get rid of the rabbit, but then his grandma died about a week after that and Bay said he wanted to keep the rabbit as a memory of her, so his mom let him do that. (All of that happened before the book started though.)

In The House That Ivy Built, no one at the house has pets (Ivy likes to tease Weaver about shedding like a cat, though). A couple other characters do though. Nina's family has a dog named Cricket. Don and Rich, a couple incidental characters, have an excitable dog named Peaches. Todd from Book 5 also has a dog, but it's never shown up in the story. I can't think of anyone else who has pets in the novels.

In my old short story "Al's Story" from when I was in school, Al had a dog named Genius. ::shrug::

I don't remember anyone in my recent short stories having a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment