Friday, January 3, 2014

Vacation week so far!

Hey everybody--I'm on vacation and doing well, visiting my sister in California. How about a quick update on what I've been doing?

Tuesday:

Left Florida super early to catch my flight to California. My mom and I were on a short flight to Atlanta, followed by a longer one to San Francisco. On the second flight, we were surrounded by babies! I swear, it must've been at least 15 families with babies. And we flew over some very interesting landscapes. I still don't know what the heck these are (maybe someone else knows?):

What's with all those circles?

I did most of my editing for my Pitch Wars mentee's latest batch of chapters while I was on the plane (though I had to finish it up that night), and I did some reading on the book I'm currently in the middle of: The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd. I'm liking it so far, though when I first bought it I didn't know that it was nonfiction.


Airplane selfie!
My mom and I got to San Francisco without incident, got a shuttle to our rented home for the week, and met the host, MikaL. He showed us around his groovy house and taught us how the lights worked (which we promptly forgot).

Fun bedroom!

Mommy and me in stylish living room!

Then my sister and her husband came over with their baby and I finally got to meet him! I got to meet my little nephew Ash! My mom was so excited and overjoyed. It was so fun watching her fall in love with her grandson.

Insta-love!

They also kindly brought us pasta and ice cream so I got to work making some spaghetti for the family. We had a lovely dinner and celebratory dessert, though it got a bit late and my sister had to take the bus so they left before New Year's. (Though it was 2014 on the East Coast, where I'm from, so I texted my friend and asked him what 2014 was like, whether there had been an apocalypse, and whether it involved zombies. He said no.)

We actually had not slept at all the day before--as in, I went to work, came home, finished packing, stayed up through the entire night, got on the shuttle, and did the whole airport shebang and New Year's celebration all without going to bed--so I was pretty tired. I hit the last chapter of my mentee's work before crashing.


Wednesday

New Year's Day I slept "late," according to my mom. 11:30 AM is late? I sleep that late sometimes when I have to work! But I had coffee and breakfast (this place has a Keurig machine!) and we hopped on a bus. Happy the buses were running on New Year's Day! We got to see the neighborhood a little on our way to the bus stop.

Mommy liked these flowers.
We took a short ride over to my sister's place and got to hang out with her and her family in their apartment. I got a precious picture of me holding my little baby nephew.

I love this little one so much!!
They gave us some spinach pie and we just hung out and checked out pictures and talked to them for a while. I also got to chat with my dad on the phone. We didn't really do much--just spent some time together and talked and took turns holding the baby and talking about everything.

My Sister P with her babe
My bro-in-law Yusuke with his li'l son
My mommy cuddling the baby
Me holding Ash's little footie
BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY. *ahem.*

Thursday

My mom and I went over to my sister's house again and this time we bought dinner--we had Chinese food and I made caramel cookies from scratch.

Cookie selfie!
And of course we played with li'l baby Ash some too. He's such a great baby, and he was more alert this time so we got to see how he moves his eyes around and starts noticing things without fussing or needing to be fed.

Tiny two-week-old Ash watching Grandma! And yawning. :)
We didn't do much of note besides getting lost on the way home in the dark. Haha.

Friday

And today we just decided to have a quiet day so Mom watched TV and put pins in the curtains she's making, and I did a little bit of e-mail, some editing for the next batch of mentee chapters, posted my webcomic (which was done ahead of times), and--as you can see--blogging. ;)

Me blogging this very blog entry! How meta is that?
Guess I'll update when I have more to update! Including writery things. :)

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful, especially getting to know your nephew!

    I liked the idea of Dance of the Dissident Daughter, but it said a lot of things I'd already covered a long time ago (as have you, I'm sure). I probably missed something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of the impression I'm getting here at the beginning, but was hoping it would sort of . . . branch off from there? A woman coming from Christian spirituality and a very conservative set of expectations has a lot farther to go than someone without that baggage, so I expected the beginning to be more about her journey than about useful stuff for mine, but I don't know where it goes from here and I hope there will be lessons learned from it even though so far it seems . . . for lack of a better word, basic.

      Delete
  2. BABY PICTURES :O

    I get really happy when I see babies, and little Ash looks adorable. I'm glad you got to see your family :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he's so freakin' cute I just wanna eat him! I love baby pictures too, but even more when they're a baby who's related to me!

      Delete
  3. Sweet, sweet baby! BTW, the circles are evidence of irrigation rigs on the plains. They have a central pivot point and they "walk" in circles to water the fields from the water table. So speaketh the Midwestern (though not a plains) farmgirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about irrigation rigs! It was so peculiar seeing miles and miles of mysterious circles!

      Delete
  4. I know right? I want to eat his face all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your sister! How wonderful you were able to spend so much time in California with your family. Your nephew is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I had a great time and loved cuddling him!

      Delete